Pages

Monday, September 3, 2012

Safety in the Form of Social Media - The Story of Your Average Keyboard Warrior


     Social media, for me, contains two different stories on each side of the paper.  On one side, it is a platform for me to express thoughts, ideas, ideologies, rants, and any other nonsense I feel worthy for the i-world.  On the other side of the page, it is a newspaper for friends and family to see how my family is growing.  Many of you know that Heather and I are not native to Colorado.  Heather is from Chicago, and I am from San Diego.
     As I have dissected my social media usage, I have found that a good percentage of my past posts contain messages that I really dont care to speak to any more.  I am still a staunch believer in things I have spoken of, but have found that my passion for these things started to interfere with my ability to love and care for others.  It has come to a point where I am actually starting to annoy myself.  In the end, I found that I loved hearing the sound of my own “educated voice which is, essentially, another form of self-righteousness.
     After years of watching governmentalist propaganda, extremist religiosity, and moral agenda fodder flood my Facebook news screen, I have finally decided to bow out of the argument.  I am as guilty of this as any.  Thank God for the “unsubscribe button!  In my opinion, there is no honor, or human decency attached to the ability to lob [spiritual/moral/political grenades) in all directions with the hope that the shrapnel falls where it may.  These actions define cowardice in every sense of the word.  Mom and Dad always used to say “if you dont have something nice to say dont say it at all.
     This is not true of everybody.  There are some who present political/religious/moral ideas in a respectful, articulate fashion.  They can do so without affecting their ability to love others.  I have found that this is something that I am personally unable to do.  Jason Lohse said something great a couple months ago.  “If your politics gets in the way of your ability to love others, I suggest trading your version of the gospel for the gospel according to Jesus Christ. – Jason Lohse.
     This is merely an argument for ideas.  I would encourage anyone to reevaluate what you intend to accomplish in this forum.  This place is a door that is wide open into the depths of your mind.  It allows people to see things in you that they might never see otherwise.  The power contained in one sentence from your brain-to-fingertips is immeasurable.  It allows others to gauge whether or not you are approachable.  It allows people to gauge whether you are genuine, or a whitewashed tomb.  It showed me that I was a walking contradiction.
     Finally, this medium is not comparable to real, genuine, face-to-face friendships.  Comments on a Facebook wall should never replace a phone call.  Chatting online should never replace meeting someone at the mom and pop coffee shop to catch up.  Forge your friendships in steel.  Leave the comfort of your computer and find yourself walking 16th Street with friends.  Enjoy the beauty God created around you.  LOL in person and xoxoxoxo when you are leaving a friends house after a planned meal.  I think you get the point.

Disclaimer:  This is directed at myself as much as anybody else.

0 comments:

Post a Comment