Pages

Friday, October 11, 2013

The Little Girl Dreams Big


The Little Girl Dreams Big
by: Steven S. Press

I used to watch the elderly couple hold hands at the park.  Theyd kiss and theyd snuggle from afternoon until dark.

And when it was time to go home for the night, her eyes would meet his under the brilliant moonlight. 

Id watch the boy chase the girl and hed present to her a rose, and shed respond to his gesture with a punch to the nose.

I laughed as she giggled and turned to run away, he was hot on her heels and eager to play.

These are the things that define beauty for me, their love and innocence seem so delicately free.

I cant help but think of my son as he aged, and I cherish every memory with each passing day.

My boy is my world, hes my strength, hes my rock, and Id give him the world, even turn back the clock...

To read him another story or take a walk by the lake, and wed sing one more song for killing times sake.

Ive been through rough patches, lost all that Ive owned, had an affair with the bottle and struck out on my own.

Id think about my son and all the time that wed spend, and Id pray to the Lord that this would come to an end.

I worked my way back and made a life for myself, with my dog and my cats as Ive been nursed back to health.

As I look out the window of this quaint little shack, I cant help but smile as I start to unpack...

All the dreams and desires my mind bore as a girl, as Id run from the boy who simply wanted to whirl.

I know that hes out there, I might accept that red rose, and walk down the aisle in white as the story it goes.

Until that day I am happy, Im free, and Ill live life to the fullest until I cease to be.


0 comments:

Post a Comment