Pages

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Your Meal Meant the World to Me


The power of a meal is amazing. In the early days, a family would break bread with friends as a genuine showing of true love and affection.  The traditional meal wasn’t what it has become today where everyone makes a brief appearance at the coffee table for a few bites only to run off minutes later.  Friends would eat at a table and spend hours together in celebration.  I love this traditional view of a meal shared with others.  I think about that whenever Heather and I hang out with other families.  

This brings me to another point.  We have been blessed to have numerous families deliver meals after every one of our babies were born.  I never knew this tradition existed until Ivy (our first) was born.  I remember receiving a bunch of calls from friends asking if they could bring us dinner.  I didn’t understand what was going on.  As the days [after the birth] rolled by and our bodies went into zombie mode, I started to understand the priceless gesture that many were willing to extend.  I would have rather secured a few minutes worth of sleep then throw a corndog in the microwave.  It all started to add up.  

Those meals were delicious.  It also felt like those who brought them were sharing an important part of their own lives.  Many took the time to make traditional family recipes.  Others brought burritos and items from our favorite restaurants.  I could sense a feeling of fulfillment as they passed the trays over to us.  And if any of you are reading this, I wanted to tell you that every last scrap was consumed in full.

As a new parent [three times], these particular acts of kindness stand out in my mind.  The impact has been so great, that Heather has signed up to bring meals to new parents on multiple occasions. 

Numerous churches have sign-ups available for the delivery of meals to new parents.  If you have the ability to make a good meal, or even buy an amazing burrito, I would encourage you to sign up.  The value of this particular act can be measured in the eyes of the new parents when you make your delivery.  


0 comments:

Post a Comment