Pages

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Recapturing the Spirit of Christmas


I can’t remember the last time I was able to slow down enough to enjoy Christmas.  I have always made a feeble attempt to apply the brakes around the beginning of December but usually end up skidding past the exit, missing the off-ramp completely.  As my younglings grow older I have come to the realization that it is time to put all of my effort back into the Christmas season.

Mom and Dad always did Christmas right.  The photographs and reel-to-reel film from my childhood are glaring examples of what Christmas should be like for my girls.  This means that I need to put the Christmas tree up sometime before December 20th.  I should throw some lights up on the roof and map out areas for other Christmas themed decorations to be placed around the house.  I need to make sure the house is warm and cozy.  Hot chocolate needs to be readily available and Bing or Frank needs to be singing to us softly in the background.  And Elvis.  Elvis was always great with those Christmas jingles.  

We can’t forget those classic films playing in the background.  A Christmas Story, It’s A Wonderful Life, White Christmas, Rudolf the Red-Nose Reindeer, and Charlie Brown Christmas playing in the background for the children.  Christmas Vacation and The Nightmare Before Christmas playing for mommy and daddy later in the evening.


First, and foremost, we have to remember the reason why we celebrate Christmas in the first place.  Tim Keller says, “At Christmas God moved into a very bad neighborhood and began rehabilitating it.”  Jesus' three-year ministry had more of an impact on this world than any other event or any other person in documented history.  This is why it is important for me to show my kids the real reason why we celebrate Christmas.  We have so much to be thankful for.  

As I mentioned above, Mom and Dad made Christmas magical for my sisters and I.  They made every effort to fill our stockings and pile gifts under the tree.  The milk, cookies, and carrots were always missing on Christmas morning which served to make our smiles that much bigger.  And the letters to Santa showed a return or two in one way or another.

Heather and I are looking forward to making this a magical time for our kids.  Just like our parents did for us.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment